will present to the CTO Colloquium:

Meditation as a practice in service to your Engineering Team

Agenda

• 6:00 to 6:30 pm - Food & Drinks
  • 6:30 to 7:00 pm - Presentation by Dr. Doug Brackmann
  • 7:00 to 7:30 pm - Discussion/Q&A
  • 7:30 to 8:00 pm - Drinks & Conversation

Summary
CTOs are the brains behind their companies and the faces of their technologies. They are in charge of all technology decisions and it’s easy to see how this can become overwhelming and stressful. Spend an evening with Dr. Doug and fellow CTOs in San Diego and learn how meditation:

• improves cognitive processes
  • improves restful sleep and energy levels
  • teaches you to maintain a positive mindset
  • fosters discipline
  • supports healthy reactions to challenges

This event is invite only and exclusive to Chief Technology Officers

(Etienne de Bruin) pinned globally #2

(Etienne de Bruin) #3

What a great evening!

@Fergie @emweiss @kenccone @Chris @dasxander @bkoltai @jeromeb @travisfawcett @scott any comments on what you learned tonight?

(Evaldas Alexander) #4

It was great! Here are some tidbits that stuck with me most:

• We should all be meditating, even if just for a minute a day.

• You do not need to have your eyes closed during meditation - in fact, it might be easier to keep the eyes open.

• We all have 2 different forces inside of us that sometimes end up fighting for the control. Being aware of it and especially meditating helps to keep them working together as opposed against each other.

(Scott Holcombe) #5

Hate to be a me too, but meditation tells me that’s okay!

The eyes open thing was eye opening to me. I’ve always found more chatter than I’d care for with my eyes closed, at least when I’m trying to get to a “present” state.

I like the flexibility this approach offers and what I found interesting that it worked for me in the moment and with others around. You can apply it in the office or sitting at a red light. I’ll have to check back in and see how effective it is for helping me maintain zen throughout the day, but I’m hopeful!

Thanks Dr. Doug and looking forward to the next SD Colloquium. Thanks Etienne.

(Benji Koltai) #6

I’ve been trying to incorporate meditation into my daily routine for a few years now. There’s no question I see improvements in my professional and personal life when I’m more consistent, but until this talk, I had thought that it “didn’t work” unless it was for at least 5 minutes and in a certain posture (eyes closed, quite place, etc.)

Dr. Doug’s approach made meditation much more accessible and removed any room for excuses. Since then, I’ve found myself taking deliberate, present-minded breaths which has provided micro-doses of meditation, which has been awesome.

Thanks for bringing Dr. Doug in, I’m looking forward to continuing the practice and hopefully do the Discovery Shoot with my team!

(Krijn van der Raadt) #7

Thanks Etienne for making this the first ever Colloquium topic, and Doug for sharing your time and attention with us =D

Meditation has made me a more effective leader at work and more pleasant human being to be around. I don’t like being some sort of mindfulness evangelist, and was glad that Doug was playing that role this week =D It took me years of just sitting with my eyes closed, trying to “not think about anything”, until I realized I was doing it wrong. It really is possible to reprogram your brain in a deliberate way so you become more effective or peaceful / happy over time, or at least in my experience it is. The most effective techniques for learning to experience the world as it is have been developed many centuries ago in various Buddhist traditions, but the original texts were hard to understand for me. People like Doug, who help us get guidance in a form that’s easier for us to understand do us a great service.

Another modern teacher who worked well for me is Sam Harris. You can find his course here: https://wakingup.com.

Also a great modern teacher (from a few decades ago) is Alan Watts. Many of his original talks are available here: https://www.audible.com/pd/Out-of-Your-Mind-Audiobook/B0161LXWGK

Alan really takes on the role of the playful guru who uses logic to help you see the ridiculousness of many popular world views, which is a fun and effective way to free your mind.

Have fun exploring your minds!

(Matthew Ferguson) #8

It has been a week since Doug’s talk at the first colloquium and so I think if his techniques are sticking and helping and not falling away I would now know. I must say I find myself trying several times a day to slow down and use his breathing technique in order to reflect and get perspective. Doug did a great job in a VERY short amount of time imparting some key wisdom and technique that is easy to act on. Sure there may be many more techniques and complexities that could be explored in meditation but I am happy to have taken away and acted on something so simple. As feedback for these sessions I think that would be something we can strive for in future speakers. yep, just keep it simple, dumb it down for guys like me, open the door a crack and I can decide how much further I want to invest.

(Etienne de Bruin) #9

Here is the video of the talk. Enjoy.

Feel free to keep the conversation going.